Tuesday, January 18, 2011

BAF is like a box of chocolates…


Hi Ya’ll.
Thankfully, since my last entry my emotional health has stabilized. No more quivering lower lip in ICU rounds, and the site of an amputee does not immediately move me to tears.  I am still pissed off that these guys have lost their limbs, but I’m getting used to my new “normal”…which includes seeing things like that.
There is one “normal” life factor here that I just can’t accept. I’ve been here since 25 Dec, and I’m still in my “temporary” room. The bhut I had been promised, was given to someone else deemed more of a priority. :0( People who came after me, and all those who came with me, have their permanent space already.  I’m still in a crowded room where I’m the “extra” gal, not a great feeling.  A bonus irritation (above dealing with the lack of basic storage and space needs) is dealing with an “unfortunate” roommate at my feet. She believes it’s perfectly fine to Skype loudly at 0700 on my day off like she’s outside screaming to a friend down the street. She plays online in bed throughout the entire night with a bright bed lamp on. Unnecessary… hello, computers provide light! She even leaves the light on when she leaves the room, because she’s apparently more important than anyone else in the room sleeping.  I just keep repeating to myself she must be a social moron and instead of anger, I should feel pity. But… anger is more instinctual. :-)
This “unfortunate” irritant did give me the ‘oomph’ I needed to go straight to my new Squadron Commander with this issue. I’ve reached my all-time whiney high here in an effort to get 4-5 square feet of space to call my own… to unpack…and to have what everyone else already has! I dreamed of going off in a Squadron meeting that my only issue was that I want a f*&king room!! My commander was cool; she heard me out, and it looks like I’ll be set in a week or so. Even knowing a date helps.
The positive side of being in this space nearly a month is that I met another Amanda who understands things like unfortunate people, trolls, cat-fish, dogs, and micro-pigs. I’m hoping I can take her with me when I move. 
My Air Command and Staff College stuff came in the mail. It’s going to be harder than I had anticipated to focus on getting that sucker done. The ACSC intro book says it takes an estimated 10.5 months to finish it. In some ways I have more time here than at home, in others I don’t. I don’t have much mental focus power for stuff like that at the moment. 01 Feb is my “get it together” date I’ve made up in my head. So I hope to start by then. 
This week in ICU rounds Afghani physicians are rounding with our multidisciplinary team. It was interesting to see them watch us. The patients we rounded on with them were local nationals; they were only allowed to see one American. The Chief Internist showed them our most recent amputee, a Marine, who lost one leg. He described the patient, and then pointed out that this type of injury is the consequence of more American troops on the ground with the IEDs. He mentioned that this Marine was actually lucky because he had one leg left, because often they are both gone. As I stood there I thought, “This is a surreal moment, and I’m glad I’m here.” This war has long lasting consequences for countless individuals. :0/
As a side comment…overall, the Afghans are short and small! Many of the men are shorter than me. I don’t know what I was expecting. The Cordova cleaning staff (think J&J at David Grant Medical Center) are local nationals. They are fun… they try to teach me Dari each day. I try to learn… I have a cheat sheet posted in my office. I say “salaam” every morning. I’m sure they think I’m a big dork. :0) They would be correct.
Maybe it’s too early, but I’ve already picked out my coming home theme song! It’s by Puffy Combs, P Diddy, Puff Daddy…whatever. I’m not 100% on the name but the chorus includes the line “I’m coming home.”  It’s not about returning home literally; it’s about returning to the mother of his kids and starting a home life. But music is more than words; I like the overall feeling the song gives me. “I’m coming home, I’m coming home, tell the world that I’m coming home, let the rain, wash away, all the pain, of yesterday, and my kingdom awaits, dah dah dah something… I’m coming home, I’m coming home… tell the world that I’m coming… home.”
:o)

4 comments:

  1. I think your "unfortunate" irritant is more "inconsiderate" than any thing else. Do you think you could pull rank on her or something? Would it be possible to give her a time limit? I have been thinking all day of where could I get you a good water soaker gun, so when she is disturbing your sleep you would not even have to say anything but just aim you water gun and shoot. It may even improve your target practice scores too. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture, which is why you are getting use to everything else except your loud neighbor. I have been obviously scheming against that woman all day. Could her light bulb just happen to get lost for a few nights? Could her computer charger just happen to come unplugged from the wall? or get lost all together? You might feel some satisfaction in just scheming. Feeling evil-ly protective of my friend today. Love ya, Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that comment Maureen :) I have been plotting in my head for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're gonna need that water gun in a few months anyway....put that on your "want" list for the next care package. LOL!
    Seriously, this is just ridiculous. You are a flight commander, right? Have a good talk with her and explain your side, provide her with some solutions and ask her to pick one (that you can live with). Then if she doesn't, time to go up the chain of command. There is "getting along" and then there is "common human consideration". And it's better to get it off your chest then stew. My second roommate & I had a good yell at eachother one night and then things all worked out afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first shirt here is so unimpressive. He does not care about me. I was doubtful he could be like that since a shirt's job is to take care of people...but it's just true. I am a Flt CC, a Maj select to pin on while here... doesn't care. Yet, Capt's who came with me have bhuts... whatever. We did talk though, new CC is cool, getting a split dorm "soonish". Everything seems to take forever. My politeness is certainly waning in the dorm room....

    ReplyDelete